Re: Is ASP the Only Way?

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:13:23 -0400
 To:  <eric(at)blainesoft.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<eric>
There is another point to consider: Much of what passes for NT problems are
really system administrator problems.

Because NT has a graphical user interface, a lot of inexperienced folks
think "gee, I can do that." It looks the same as Windows 9x, so how much
harder can it be, they reason.
</eric>

Eric has a good point. However that being said, Linux is a remarkably stable
system. NT does have a tendency to crash.

I have both a Linux desktop (coral version) and a NT desktop sitting on the
table in front of me. I now use the linux for most of my work and it has
_never_ crashed or recorded an error. I have to reboot my NT every other day
on average!

That being said In my work I do work mostly with NT, (I am not an IS guy)
and have never had any serious problems with NT. Sure it crashes from time
to time, but functions are relayed to a backup, and the IT guy gets things
up and running again in a few minutes.

NT does have some wonderful services built in which makes security, database
access, manipulation of XML files, email etc. very easy.

The problem is as Eric mentions that NT is TOO easy to run, (hell even I
could run it if I had to- not well but adequetly!) so there tend to be a lot
of '2nd tier' people running the systems.

Frank