Re: Presentation on CD

by "Andy Innes" <innax(at)icon.co.za>

 Date:  Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:18:02 +0200
 To:  "Christopher" <christopherm(at)chartertn.net>,
"'HWG techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Do a google search for an app called "shellout.exe". This small file will
allow you to open any file using it's default viewer on the user's pc. Your
autorun.inf file should read something like this: 'AUTORUN=SHELLOUT.EXE
mypage.html'. You need to do this as the autorun file requires an exe
extension to run. From there, you simply code the absolute url of the files
you are trying to access on the Internet into the page that opens (e.g.
http://www.yoursite.com/exceldata1.html). For the local files on the CD, you
just use a relative url to call the Excel files (e.g. if your doc1.xls is in
the same folder as the page, the link is : <.a
href="doc1.xls">link<./a> )and the browser will call either the ActiveX
plugin or the default viewer. NB - make sure that you burn the autorun.inf
file AND shellout.exe to the root of the CD.

Having said this, if you have access to a copy of Macromedia Director, that
would provide a much more elegant solution.

HTH

Andy