Re: ART & CRAFT (was) CSS ROCKS!!

by "Billy Dean" <billy61(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:07:34 -0700
 To:  <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>,
"'WebWizzard'" <ztog(at)ztog.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mike,

Thanks for the references -- I'm especially fond of ALA.

We all learn a bit differently.  In my classes, I have noticed two general
types of people: those who learn by being shown how to do it, and those who
learn by discovering things for themselves. First, give them a good
overview, so they have some context in which to organize and understand the
information. Next, show them the feature, and how it works -- on the page
and in the code. Then turn them loose and let them play (trial and error).
It has been my experience that the ones who learn things for keeps, and in
depth, are the ones who discover things for themselves.

So even the best tutorial, in my opinion, should encourage the "student" to
get at the code behind the feature and play. Some really good tutorials
might therefore appear, on the surface, as too basic for your needs, but you
might want to take another look with the idea that the tutorial is only a
launching pad for your own exploration of the possibilities introduced in
it. And that is where a really good reference site such as W3C comes in very
handy.

Web design, in my opinion, is both art and craft, so it is my view that
designers need to bring their own creativity to a project, not merely a
collection of how-to (learned step by step) techniques...

Best regards,

Billy Dean
billy61(at)earthlink.net
http://www.qwertyarrow.com/webdesign/demo.htm
Is your home on the web an elegant, user-friendly place to visit?
Do the colors, images, layout & style please my eyes?
Can visitors interact and navigate intuitively?
Do the features mesh to create balance & harmony?
Does it focus on function & content or smoke & mirrors?
Does it show that I am serious about my home on the web?
Will it attract people who share my values and interests?