OT mail server question

by "Martin T. Hugo" <martyh(at)cinci.rr.com>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:17:03 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Everyone

I have a client who wants to use a specific webmail app for his staff =
(about
20 people).  My hosting company won't allow me to install the =
application on
my server without purchasing a dedicated server and an accompanying SLA
agreement that makes it cost prohibitive.  I do however have access to =
my
own DNS records on the server so here is my question:

Can I create an A record for say mail.clientsdomainname.com on my =
current
server that points to an IP address on another server that I *do* have
access to and then add an MX record to that server and run the webmail =
app
from there?  Would mail sent to/from anyone(at)myclientsdomainname.com be
processed by the new server and, can I even have a server called
mail.myclientsdomainname.com that is in a completely different location =
than
the webserver?

TIA

Marty