Re: AOLO user check

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sat, 20 May 2000 16:46:29 -0400
 To:  "Hwg-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'd almost rather reformat.  Of course, you canshould back up any files you
don't want to loose...but that's a good idea anyway.

The thing is, of course, we shouldn't have to do either.  According to what
I have read, most of the files that are changed don't need to be...they are
simply being rearranged to fit into someone's idea of "Networking the AOL
way".  Of course, whining about it won't change anything, but it *is*
annoying...:).

From: Virginia Blalock <virginia(at)visionsnet.com>

At 01:54 PM 5/20/00 -0400, Darrell King wrote:

>AOL5 rewrites almost 5 megabytes of Windows core files when installed.  No
>backups are made, and re-installing over the old Winodws installation will
>not overwrite these files or delete them.  The only way I havew heard that
>will return your computer to pre-AOL is a complete format and Windows
>reinstall...

When a similar thing happend to me, I reinstalled Windows into a different
directory. I did not have to re-format my HD. I did have to reinstall some
apps, though.

Virginia's Visions
http://www.visionsnet.com