RE: WSIWYG Editor Recommendation 4 Client Updates

by "Andre L Crane" <andre(at)terracrane.com>

 Date:  Fri, 24 May 2002 10:41:27 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Very good point Lois. I still suggest DW though. The templates provide
absolute control over what sections of the page may be edited. The client
can do anything they want in the editable area and there is small likelyhood
that they will prevent the page from displaying. If they do something wrong,
they can go right back and fix it. Or they can call the developer, which is
great because that means more billable hours which also means food on the
table :)

- andre

Melanie.

I have had some success in similar scenarios with AOLPress, which is free
but ageing. It is a pretty basic WYSIWYG editor that doesn't support styles,
but should be enough for editing text and links etc, as long as you can
explain to your clients that the page will look OK on the web. For the MAC,
PageSpinner has been very good for a newbie who I support.

http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/aolpress.htm

http://www.optima-system.com/pagespinner/

IMO: FP's biggest downside is that if you use just the editor, it's quite
likely to rewrite all your URLs as file paths. And HMPro, a good tool for
coders, is very unforgiving of any parsing errors - so, if for example you
include some of your page using scripts or SSIs, it can fail to validate and
load the page. And DW is way too expensive and powerful to let loose on the
unsuspecting!

Better to give them something simple so they aren't tempted to add any
flashy gizmos ;-)

Lois Wakeman