Re: web safe background

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:52:33 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Larry:  "Trouble is, Netscape is nicer to USE than IE is..."

I've always wondered at this.  I tried switching to NN4 once, back
over a year ago, but I couldn't get what I wanted out of it.  The
work involved in managing multiple email accounts is very
inconvenient, and simple things like clearing cache seemed overly
complex.  Thing is, I really did want to find another browser, but
I guess I was too used to IE5.5.  I tried switching to Opera (4)
last year, but popup windows didn't work right (no big loss) and
the email interface wasn't as well made as OE5 (huge loss.)

I'll probably end up trying Opera again, as I have 5 installed and
I like it (the email management seems to have improved)...and I
can use it on the Linux machines, too.  I could never try NN4
again because it just can't deliver CSS-formatted pages in a
decent way and I expect to see more of them every couple
hours...:).  I do understand the reluctance to part with trusty
software, though, which is the biggest you won't hear me complain
about having to take a few extra steps for it now and them...it's
a respect thing.

To be honest, NN6 and Opera5 both seem to mess with my use of
margin and padding, so 4.x isn't the only software I swear at
during development...:)

From: "Larry Coats" <lcoats(at)gte.net>

As another of the ones who prefer Netscape to IE, I can't really
fault
your reasoning - NS4 ain't gonna be worth anything for XML. But
for
HTML/XHTML - well, no doubt about it, IE does a better job of that
too.

Trouble is, Netscape is nicer to USE than IE is, even though it's
getting old and doesn't support newer stuff. Until another browser
comes
along that provides what I as a user want from a browser, I'm
afraid I'm
stuck with NS4.

Larry Coats

Darrell King wrote:

> Unfortunately, it's only easier to design in that direction with
> 3.2-level code.  NN4 is a great browser for that
standard...really