RE: Password too similar?

by "Lauri Vain" <lauri_lists(at)tharapita.com>

 Date:  Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:29:11 +0300
 To:  "'Kid Stevens'" <kstevens89(at)comcast.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> So to your question: windows decodes the entire password
> file when you add a new password so it reads it, does the
> compare and then rehashes it.  Oh boy if a hacker is watching
> the temp password file with a javascript when it is unhashed.

Argh, so Windows passwords are not stored as one-way hashes? I thought
about implementing a "password too similar" routine to my web systems,
but my policy is to only store one-way hashes of passwords in databases.
I have some alternative ideas to do this, though (I have to benchmark
them before implementation to make sure that it's worth it).

Thanks for the information, everybody!

Cheers,
Lauri