RE: dream website

by "Brett Errington" <brett(at)opensearch.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:23:04 +0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You want a content management system. And to get one that's really good
you're going to have to build it yourself :)

I know because this is what I do all the time. The user has their
website and when they want to update it they logon to the system (which
caters for all sites you build as it works from templates) and are able
to update any content they wish. They can even add new sections etc.
simply by adding a new 'object' at a hierarchical level of their choice.
The actual editing is done through a basic WYSIWYG editor which allows
fonts, colours, tables, images, and a few other things (all generally
conforming to HTML 3.0 standard (might be good if you could make one
that used styles instead).

The user can then review the updates, publish the page (make it live),
edit it again, delete it etc. etc. etc. Then also in the system they can
review their discussion boards, newsletters, and the rest... limited
only by what you wish to make available to clients.

Now being on an Intranet allows unlimited possibilities because speed is
not an issue. You could have the whole site in Flash so that a page
never has to reload and so on and so on.

My dream site however is 2 steps ahead at the moment. Firstly it has a
no complaints, 100% easy to use navigational system. Secondly it is
completely modularised and so is easy to update, not only by the users,
but by the developer. The site functions just like an application so you
can just slot in new components without affecting the rest of the site.
Although I'm not swaying you towards Microsoft, I get the feeling that
this is what .Net is meant to be able to accomplish.

That's my thoughts anyways :)

Later,
Brett

"That's a pain that will shorely linger, and that's no lie" - Ed Grimley