Re: previewing asp files

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Fri, 4 May 2001 09:17:27 -0400
 To:  "Duane Ruth-Heffelbower" <duanerh(at)ukdw.ac.id>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
ASP pages by definition require a server.

Install PWS (the Win95/98 version of IIS) on your PC or the NT Workstation
version of IIS if that is what you are developing on.

Don't try to view directly in a browser, but rather have PWS 'serve' the asp
page to your browser.

PWS supports much of the ASP functionality that IIS does, so that you will
be able to see the page as it will really look on the web.

And then start digging in to ASP - using it only for SSI alone is a bit of a
shame!

Once you have IIS/PWS installed, then ASP should be associated with the web
server (not the browser!) and you should be ok after that.

Good luck -

Regards,
Michael Gerholdt
SUNY College at Fredonia

> I use ASP for top and bottom text includes for nav and formatting on my
web
> pages on NT servers and SSI on others. My problem is previewing the ASP
> pages locally. Shtml pages won't do the includes, but they will let me see
> the pages without includes. The extension .asp, however, was grabbed by
> Photoshop for one of its table files, and when I try to preview a local
ASP