Re: TEXTAREA Help Needed

by "Valerie L. Criswell" <valerie(at)suresource.net>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:13:25 -0400
 To:  "HWG Techniques List" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I've always done something similar to this, having the user paste the text
into a textarea, then writing the text to a new text file that is given a
filename that is the same as the ID number.  Each record ends up with a text
file on the server, but it saves in database space.  In this way, the
database doesn't even need a field pointing to the location and name of the
text file.

Of course in the template where it needs to be displayed, you use cfinclude
that calls for the file #myID#.txt.  This works great for images too.

Please note that when writing the text to the file, you need to use the
ParagraphFormat() function, and the user needs to know to use a double enter
(I don't know the technical term for that!) to denote paragraph breaks.  CF
will then automatically insert HTML paragraph tags into the text.

Ciao,
~Val