Re: Shopping carts NOW PAYPAL

by "Bob Laurence" <webguy(at)re-data.com>

 Date:  Wed, 5 Jun 2002 06:56:06 -0700
 To:  "Lisa Bradshaw" <zibbler(at)web-design-cs.com>,
"Lonna Poland" <lonna(at)granbury.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
For most
small business uses it's perfect<<<<<<<<<

NOT REALLY!

3  BIG Articles on Paypal:
Maybe your clients know about these facts and the fact that if you use a
third party shopping cart the info will be on payals site and not on their
site which makes it harder to find their site the serach engines.   among
many other reasons ;)

************************
PayPal sued over frozen funds
Class-action suit follows Web payment service's IPO

By Lisa Napoli
MSNBC CONTRIBUTOR

THE SUIT WAS FILED in Superior Court in Santa Clara County, California late
Wednesday seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. PayPal
could not be reached for comment Thursday morning.
       A spokeswoman for the law firm Jacoby and Meyers said the firm have
received "thousands" of complaints against PayPal. The firm gathered many of
those complaints from a link posted on one of several Web sites set up by
angry PayPal users, where current and former users of the service regale
each other with horror stories of frozen accounts and bad customer service.
       "It appears there are many issues really - holding on to consumers'
money, without clear guidelines, for no apparent reason, and very, very poor
ability to communicate back to the consumer," said Gail Koff, a co-founder
of New York-based Jacoby and Meyers, which filed the claim. "In some
instances it's a lot of money, in some instances, it's not. It's ... a
hugely frustrating situation, as is exemplified by the complaints. And you
can't talk to anyone about it. There's a big black hole of nothingness."
       A spokesman for PayPal said he could not comment because the company
is in a post IPO quiet period.
 Difficulty in tracking down PayPal customer service representatives is a
frequent complaint made by PayPal users, who say that in the aftermath of
notices regarding their accounts they have been unable to communicate with
company representatives.
       On the consumer Web sites, Paypal phone numbers that have been
sleuthed out by users are posted with pride for the benefit of others.
       The suit charges that "the Company deliberately conceals the contact
information of its customer service from the users."
       Perhaps the larger issue is the charge that PayPal mismanages
customer accounts.
       One of two plaintiffs named in the class action suit, Lanskoi Kirill,
found his account, which contained $30,000, frozen earlier this year when he
tried to withdraw funds from it. An automated message explained that "an
unusual use of funds" led to the account restriction. After faxing various
documents to PayPal, Kirill said his account is still frozen.
The suit alleges that such incidents are a result of an overly cautious
stance on the part of PayPal.
       "As a result of its inability to set up an adequate and effective
anti-fraud mechanism and its attempt to compensate for such inability,
PayPal adopts an aggressive and grossly over-broad anti-fraud policy that
persistently causes erroneous and wrongful restrictions of access to be
imposed on user accounts - causing economic damage and financial loss to a
significant number of innocent PayPal account holders," reads part of the
20-page complaint.
       In its SEC filings, PayPal paints a different picture of its customer
service, claiming that its has over 400 workers handling customer phone
calls and e-mails, and it responds quickly to inquiries.
       However, the suit quotes PayPal chief executive Peter Thiel in one
published report a year ago as saying the company "wildly underestimated"
how quickly the business would grow.

http://www.paypalwarning.com
Suit Claims PayPal Not Your Friend
Online payment service and IPO wunderkind PayPal Inc. (NASDAQ:PYPL) is the
target of a lawsuit claiming that the company is prone to restricting,
freezing or closing customer accounts without good reason.
In fact, it's just that sort of (alleged) thing that prompted creation of a
Web site called PayPalwarning.com, replete with horror stories from
purportedly innocent users whose accounts were shut off.
But despite a patent infringement lawsuit, and regulatory threats in some
states, investors continue to favor the stock of the Palo Alto, Calif.-based
company - it closed Wednesday at $19.65, up from its $13 IPO price. The
stock was down 80 cents in the early going today.
The most recent lawsuit, filed in San Jose, Calif., federal court, also
claims that the company makes it too hard for its 14 million customers to
resolve complaints against PayPal.
The suit seeks nationwide class-action status and was lodged on behalf of
three people who said they had their accounts frozen, or had money taken out
of accounts in error by PayPal.
"Based on our reading of the complaint, we believe this suit to be without
merit and we'll contest it vigorously," PayPal spokeswoman Julie Anderson
was quoted by the Associated Press as saying.
Meanwhile, there was some good news for PayPal as the company said that it
has received word from the FDIC Legal Department to the effect that, when
PayPal acts as agent for customers and places customer funds with FDIC
member banks, the funds will qualify for federal deposit insurance up to
$100,000 per customer per bank.
Are you Using PayPal to Sell Through Your Site? Watch Out!

Wired.com is reporting that millions of PayPal merchants are vulnerable to a
hack that allows customers to name their own price.

The problem lies in the cut-and-paste code provided by PayPal. Anyone, by
viewing and editing the HTML code of the Web page can change the price of
the product. In the case of software, the download URL can even be obtained
without the customer having put through a transaction.

For more details, see:
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,51977,00.html

And if you're interested in getting a merchant account to process payments,
be sure to read our Complete Guide to Online Payment Acceptance at:
http://www.ecommercebase.com/article/494

sincerely,
Bob Laurence
Re-Data.com
"We may not know it all, but we know the web"
      "Your Bridge to the Internet since 1995"
          Internet & Web Business Consultant
        Certified Internet Industry Professional
                             541.469.469 7
                             541.469.469 5