Re: navigation bars-absent on newer version of Netscape

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)btinternet.com>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:09:15 +0100
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>,
"Tamara" <Tamara(at)abbeyink.com>
 Cc:  <webmaster(at)noteworthydesigns.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Netscape have NOT done 'their own thing' with the DOM!  In fact, they've
stopped doing their own thing.  The DOM in Netscape 6 complies with the W3C
specifications.

Specifically, in version 4 of the major browsers, you might refer to the top
position of an element using:

document.whateverElement.top (for Netscape)

document.all.whateverElement.style.top

In the newest, standard compliant versions, this is changed to:

document.getElementById('whateverElement').style.top

Netscape have developed the new version to adhere more closely with
standards.  This includes loosing much of the horrible old proprietary
stuff, such as <layer> tags.

The code I've detailed will work in all newest browsers, including IE5 and
Opera.  It's not just a Netscape 6 specific.

You can easily detect browser support for the standard DOM in your JS by
asking:

if (document.getElementById)

Hope this helps,

Tim