Re: Passing an object as a paramter between windows

by "Hilma" <Hilma(at)hilma.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 28 May 2002 20:23:34 +0100
 To:  "Brett Errington" <brett(at)opensearch.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Brett, and thanks for that :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brett Errington" <brett(at)opensearch.com>
To: <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 2:16 AM
Subject: RE: Passing an object as a paramter between windows

> You put your question all the way down the bottom... prolli why no one
> has replied yet lol :)
maybe, but i just wanted to indicate that i had got somewhere since my last
pleas for help... :-)

> Anyway you can communicate between windows so you can just make a copy
> of the object from one to another. For example from the original window
> you could do something like this:
>
> openWindow.Allphotos = Allphotos;
This didn;t work, as openWindow was not "defined" until i tried to use it -

> Or from the new window you could do this:
> Allphotos = window.opener.Allphotos;

But this works fine, so many thanks.

> However you can also pass information along the URL string as parameters
> like so:
>
> http://www.something.com/default.html?height=300&width=200

yes, as simple data-types i know - that's the way i'm doing it at present.
But what i wanted to do, was pass an *object reference* as a parameter, and
that i cannot see how to do.

I would much prefer to use a parameter, rather than the way you gave me
(that does, however,  work) - as my "programming background" doesn;t much
like the scoping issue of simply accessing another window's variables.
It just seems *wrong* to me to do it this way (even though it works :-)

So i'm still looking for a way to pass an object reference as a variable -
but i can progress to using my object within my photo-window, so many thanks
:-)

> Then in the new window you can retrieve them with some fairly simple JS.
> If you go to http://imptech.net he explains this method

Where abouts in this site is it explained?!
All i can find is the prices for design, hosting etc., and some html
tutorials, and something about DOS. I hoped that thisiwas a mis-print of
DOM, but no, it was Bill's DOS.

Which menu is the explanation under, as i can;t find it anywhere :-(

thanks!

hilma
--x-----