Re: A page with no tables, please take a look

by "d a l e" <dale(at)daleznet.com>

 Date:  Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:14:55 -0500
 To:  <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>,
"Hwg-Techniques@Hwg. Org" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Your html has one teensy-weensy error -  on line 6 and 7 you have a
> it doesn't have the type=text/css attribute, but if it's not going to do
> anything you're best to get rid of it.

Thanks, Mike, I took that out - left over from when I was experimenting with
an inline style.

> The trick to designing a web page using CSS is NOT NOT NOT to design it
with
> Internet Exporer.  Design with a compliant browser such as Firefox, and
when
> you have it looking how you like it in Firefox, THEN and only then do you
> look at it in Internet Explorer, and apply the tweaks and hacks to make it
> look right in IE.  If you do it the other way around, you get all the
> inconsistencies of IE taking charge, and you spend your life trying to
fight
> them to make the page valid in a compliant browser.
>
> Start with the compliant one first, then work on it to make it look ok in
IE
> is the trick.

Great idea!  Thanks for this tip, very interesting....I would not have
thought of that, but I will have to go out and DL Firefox again.  I am still
reinstalling stuff after a computer crash a couple of months ago.

> But nice job.  Keep doing the table-less designs.  They're going to make
> your life much easier in the long run, and you'll develop much better web
> sites as a result.
>

> Cheers
> Mike Kear
> Windsor, NSW, Australia
> AFP Webworks
> http://afpwebworks.com
> .com,.net,.org domains from AUD$20/Year

On
> Behalf Of d a l e
> Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 2:31 AM
> To: HWG Techniques
> Subject: A page with no tables, please take a look
>
> Hello, everyone,
>
> I have designed a page for the first time using all CSS - no tables!  I
> would appreciate it if some of you would take a look at the page.  I am
> curious as to how it looks on other browsers, resolutions, etc.  I have a
PC