Re: SQL question

by "David Clapper" <dclapper(at)clioassociates.com>

 Date:  Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:03:50 -0500
 To:  <klai(at)rs1winc.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello Kenny,

The "more sophisticated" DBMSs (e.g., DB2, Oracle, SQL Server) maintain
their catalog/dictionary in a set of tables or views that's accessible to
the user via SQL.  However, you can generally only get the info on objects
that the user you've logged in as has been granted access to.

For example, in Oracle, you should be able to do this by querying the
ALL_TABLE_COLUMNS (or perhaps it's ALL_TAB_COLUMNS - don't have a reference
in front of me) view.  (You can DESCRIBE ALL_TABLE_COLUMNS to find out what
columns are in it!).

HTH ... .

David Clapper
Vice-President & Chief Architect