Re: "members only" section - user names and passwords

by "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew(at)wisca.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:24:20 +0100
 To:  <denise(at)amun-ra.demon.co.uk>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You can use a separate directory and insert in it a file called

.htaccess

and another called

.htpasswd

There should be information on the ISP about some details of what is needed
in the .htaccess file, but here is an example:
AuthUserFile /share/isp/force9/www/to/tolksoc/htdocs/private_html/.htpasswd
AuthName "Please Log On"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

and the password file is a list of user names and encrypted passwords. There
are various sites which offer encryption if you can't do it when telnetted
into your ISP - for example there is:
http://www.earthlink.net/cgi-bin/pwgenerator.pl

and the password file will contain entries like:

member:fQoX2lenMkWm6

The login box then appears.

For an example go to www.tolkiensociety.org and go to the members only
section.