Re: password protected pages

by "Peter Newton" <c-newton(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Fri, 7 Apr 2000 23:49:33 +1200
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Now you come to mention it I may have just such a situation
where I need to protect a bit of code.

I have just started with a new host who provides chat rooms
using a java applet. The problem is I want to be able to allow
a group of people to use the room so that no one else can
view it while they are using it.

I can easily wrap the java applet calling code with a perl script
or put the file into a password protected directory but there is
no point since (after using the room once) the html <applet>
calling code can simply be snipped out and used anywhere
even (I found) by putting it on another domain.

Does anyone know how I can protect this applet so it can only
be used from my domain or some other way I hav'nt thought of
to achieve the purpose. (They don't allow us to use other chat
room scripts because of server overloading problems that it
can cause).

Many Thanks
Peter Newton

nb hope i'm not tiring everyone out on this.