Re: Lies, Damned Lies & Statistics

by "Lady Wistfulee" <ladywist(at)bellsouth.net>

 Date:  Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:41:01 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Bravo!  I had this discussion today because I am trying to introduce
accessibility issues at the company I work for.  The sad part was the person
I was talking with had used an argument just a couple of days previously
regarding doctypes.  He said no one uses them, so why should he bother.  He
said the same about accessibility & also added that he was sick of the
"lowest common denominator" school of web design.  I was incensed, & told
him that there was no need to "dummy down" a page for accessibility purposes
like one would when coding for lower version browsers, but instead, if he
had read the specs I had handed out at the staff meeting he would see that
it isn't too hard to make great pages that are not "dumbed down" & still be
completely accessible.  I just took over a site, & have many pages to redo
because of invalid code, & am making them accessible while I am at it.  The
only part I can't do is put text links on the page (yet) because the client
hasn't been approached about doing this to their site.  They don't know that
everything I have done so far for them has passed Bobby's validator & that
their site is already accessible...the funny part of it is that the site
concerns health issues, & should be a site that is accessibility-aware.

Thanks for allowing my rant...
Lady Wist