Re: Dynamic Table Width Implementation... HOW?

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Sun, 28 May 2000 18:14:58 +0100
 To:  "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>,
"Techniques [HWG]" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
From: "Abhay S. Kushwaha" <abhay(at)kushwaha.com>
> The question is simple. How do I implement the following?
>
> There is a huge chunk of text and text only that has to be displayed
> keeping the following parameters:
>
> -  In 640x480 or lower resolutions, the width is to be 500p.
> -  In 800x600 and above resolutions, the width is to be 720p.
>
> Obviously, the implementation of tables is called for and the
> percentage funda won't do. HOW then?

One way would be to create a page using one of the sizes and include a
script that checks the screen resolution. If the resolution detected isn't
the one for that size, redirect to an alternative page with the other size
table.

Alternatively set up a page using an external CSS file to control the
tables, and include a script that will check the resolution. Have two CSS
files and the script can call the correct one.

Both these types of script are available, though you may have to search for
them (unless you are using DW3 in which case I can point you to relevant
extension sites). Of course, neither of these methods will work if the
browser is not JS-enabled or it is turned off, and also the screen
resolution is not necessarily going to be the browser window size.

HTH

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net