Re: CSS Question

by "Billy Dean" <billy61(at)earthlink.net>

 Date:  Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:38:59 -0700
 To:  <wanda(at)wandaweb.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Wanda,

In my opinion, frames are the easiest way to display a menu bar that is
visible all the time, and target your content pages to the "main" frame,
independently of that bar. As far as I know, there is no way to duplicate
the way a frameset works with CSS.  That is, if you design a menu division
and a content division in the same .html file, (with or without using the
float technique) how will you target the content pages to the content
division?   I have a script that simulates frames with CSS, but it only
hides the text for each link in a separate layer until onClick occurs for
that layer--kind of crude, and the "content" is not a separate .html file.
Works OK only if the "content" is a small amount of text.  If anyone knows
how to use CSS (without javascript) to work like a frame, I'd sure like to
learn how.

If I am hearing you correctly, you want the menu bar to have one background
and the content to have another. In a frameset, there will be no conflict
between background images in the two frames, as your frame/table
configuration shows.

In a CSS layout, you could design each division with a different background
(you'll probably have to use display:block; and set the widths carefully, or
use float, as somebody has already suggested).  Then you could position your
logo absolutely, so it sits on top of the background images in each
division, with any overlap you desire. You can see an example of this
layering technique at... http://www.qwertyarrow.com/webdesign/demo.htm
(click CSSP at top of the page)

Hope this helps. If not, maybe somebody else sees what you want...

Billy Dean
'98 XV1100
billy61(at)earthlink.net
http://www.qwertyarrow.com/virago.htm
"Don't give me no plastic saddle -- I want to feel that leather when I
ride..."