Re: Site wide search with wildcard

by "Nancy Whittley" <jnwhittley(at)fuse.net>

 Date:  Wed, 9 Aug 2000 06:28:46 -0400
 To:  "Wendy Peck" <wpeck(at)wpeck.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Boy I don't have a clue about Dreamweaver, but Arachnoid can do this.
I do this all the time.  I can open 40 to 50 pages at once, look for a
common
phrase, tag, or word, and tell it to find and replace all and in about 5
seconds it
is done.  Save all and upload.  Life is good.

Since Arachnoid is just a simple editor and doesn't change your code when
you
open a document, why can't you use it?  Of course if the pages vary, it
might not
do the job.  It will simply look for what you tell it to look for, if that
is different on
the pages, then it won't find it. But if the pages are different but the
snippet that you
want to replace is identical on all pages, it will find it where ever it is
on a page.

Nancy

> Does anyone have a secret to finding variable text between two constants
in
> Dreamweaver. I need to replace code in 700 pages that varies slightly on
> every page. If I could search the source between the comment tags, I would
> be sailing, but I cannot find a way to do it.
>
> Any help much appreciated ... alternative is replacing each one by hand.
Can