Re: from the sublime...

by "Wendy Loveless Miller" <wink(at)abts.net>

 Date:  Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:29:11 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

From: Craig S. Kiessling <wulin(at)netzero.net>

> But I do have a question - Could someone give me some examples as to how a
> pre-written subject line may be useful? I know this sounds stupid to
some -
> but I'd be curious to hear some examples.

Craig,

    I use a pre-written subject line all the time.  I have several personal
and professional sites that might have different email addresses but all get
forwarded to my one mailbox.  By using a personalized subject line like
"Query from the blank website,"  I know right away that this is something I
need to take care of and not just another list message.   I can also have
"query from a certain page" so that I know which page the person is
referring to if there is an error or information that needs clarification.
On a site designed to generate resumes, I have the subject listed as "Resume
submission from blank restaurants.com."  When a resume comes through to that
client, they know whether it came from Monster.com or the website or
elsewhere just by the subject line.  On a realtor's site, I have the email
address listed on each property page with a reference to the house in
question in the subject line.  Often, viewers have tunnel vision and don't
think that you might not know exactly what they are talking about . . . the
subject line is both a useful filing tool and an helper for those who don't
give much information.

Hope that helps.

Wendy Miller
http://www.iredell.net