Re: NT Server -- first time user

by "Louise Dade" <louise.dade(at)ntlworld.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:58:42 -0000
 To:  "'HWG Techniques'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

I forgot to mention in my previous email that I only recieve the digest mode
of this list, so if you replied via the list and not to me individually, I
won't receive your email until the next digest.

> >  will Perl CGI work on an NT server in the same way it does on Apache?
>
> Generally, yes.  But not if it calls Unix specific functions
(sendmail,...)

Ok, shouldn't be a problem, because we've got ASP and the server host comes
with a prewritten ASP script for sending form feedback via email.  The
company wants a mailing list (not a Majordomo type, but one where people
sign up to receive updates), which I anticipate will require databasing.

Does ASP communicate with a flat-file datase like Perl does (the only thing
being stored will be names and emails and I don't anticipate it will be very
large), or does this mean I need dive into Access and and stuff?

Maybe there is a prewritten solution I can use until I've learned enough?

> Telnet is possible
> Chili Soft ASP

Phew! On both counts.  I think I had better seriously start considering that
memory upgrade to fit all this stuff on my machine.

> > - There are a number of files and directories with names similar to
> > _vti_foobar

> Those are probably shared borders (something like server-side includes).
Be
> careful on this.  You might lose for example the navigation if that's
what's
> included.

Again, not a problem.  The reason for me taking over the site was to fix it.
In this endevour I have altered the design a little.  Previously the design
used frames, I have done away with these in favour of includes.  There were
no SSIs before, but there are now.

I shall back up and download the directories and then carefully delete them
one by one and see what happens.  If at any point the site stops working,
I'll have the backups to restore it.

Louise