Re: new browser windows

by "Laurie M. Landry" <lmlweb(at)lmlweb.com>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:03:11 -0800
 To:  "Niall Kennedy" <nkennedy(at)rcgp-scotland.org.uk>,
"Hwg Techniques (E-mail)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I personally don't care as I've had no problems with this, but as far as
usability is concerned, there's a reason why there's a "back" button for the
browser... and it would be insulting to assume a viewer wouldn't know how to
do that. It's actually more confusing to open new window, for an external
link, and the viewer isn't aware of what it's doing, so when they're
finished with the "new window", more often, they hit the "back" button, only
to find it doesn't work!

Most people use this "I don't want them to leave my site" excuse for this,
and while it's understandable, if your site isn't offering them any
information they're looking for, they'll leave anyways, but if it's valuable
to the viewer, they'll return.

But it all depends, on the whole setup.

But please don't use the Hotmail setup. I found it very unfriendly, and what
if I want to go from there, I'm stuck in that Hotmail frame.  A better frame
setup is the AskJeeves.com setup. You're still in the frameset for
Askjeeves, but it gives you the option to remove the frames, if you decide
to go from there. IMO, that's a better setup. A viewer then can stay with
you, or simply remove the frame and go on.