Re: Netscape 6.2 vs Img Alt Parameter

by "Mike" <ironmike(at)inav.net>

 Date:  Tue, 9 Jul 2002 02:19:30 -0500
 To:  "Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Netscape is a graphical web browser. The "alt" attribute is intended to
provide a text equivilent for graphics in non-graphical (text-only) browsers
such as Lynx, and for applications such as screen readers for the visually
handicapped. IE and most other browsers give you a "tool tip" with the "alt"
information, but this is not according to standard. Since you are using
strict mode, Netscape correctly does not display "alt" information. Try
turning off graphics in your options, then you should be able to see the alt
information.

Better yet, install Lynx and see what your page looks like in a real
text-only application.