Re: Solution - A Perfect Web Site!

by "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:15:31 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think we've established that there are many different
definitions.  The best paying jobs need not be those based on
intensive eye candy as there are also some very intensive
programming applications being built around the Web.  The Library
of Congress site may not use much Flash, but the organization,
filing and presentation of that much data has to be a major
project.

I personally prefer XHTML Transitional because 1) I am a
programmer and I like the increased standardization of the XML
markup rules and b) I still need to please clients with sites that
use some older techniques, such as tables for layout.  I intend to
move into XML Basic as soon as it is feasible to do so and still
fulfill my obligations to clients.  Not because it's bleeding
edge, but because it makes sense to my anal programmer's
brain...:).

The Internet is not primarily about commerce, or even information;
it's about connecting people.  All the rest of it follows...but
that basic connection (the reference to the Cluetrain was an apt
one...I signed that when it first appeared) is the root of an
evolution in Human history.  For the first time since we all lived
in the same village, we are within reach of realistically reaching
out and contacting anyone, anywhere, and that's incredible.

It also means that there will be more variety in both content and
media on the World Wide Web than any of us have ever seen anywhere
else.

I support W3C Recommendations...but I often feel lucky we have any
common ground at all, given the diversity of the
participants....:)

From: "Ron Hall" <thorn(at)cc.mcgill.ca>
To: <allred(at)its.state.ms.us>

> > You are missing the point.
>
> > How much is HWG site worth? 10 bucks an hour? A total idiot
can create
> HWG
> > site in 3 hours with FrontPage support.

I was going to avoid this, but the missive above irked me.
Still does.

A good web site should be clear,concise and easy to get around
in. More than that is window dressing or pretension, take your
pick. A web site need not shout "I've the the lastest #$@%@ing
toys, so I'm the best", but should be built on recognizable
portable standards. Of course if one is willing to take the flak
for being an early-adopter of techno-whatever, then one can live
on the bleeding-edge.

<I just edited myself from going off-track >

Nothing is perfect, there is what is subjective good and what it
subjectively bad. There is room for all, but the better ones
(by some standard :)) are the ones that last.

'jes my 3 centimes.