Re: Stripping content from other sites using "socket" connections

by "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita(at)home.ro>

 Date:  Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:32:46 +0200
 To:  <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>,
"'hwg-techniques@mail. hwg. org'" <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yes you're right but it depends what you think is most costly for you.
I live in Romania, Europe and I get less than 100 dollars monthly so the
money cost is much much important for me than the time for learning and
developing the software.
I also like Perl because it works on all Unix servers, under Windows, under
Macintosh, and if it works under Linux, ... this OS is also free while
Windows is not.

I also like Perl and I will also start learning PHP because they work very
well with MySQL wich is the most used database on the net.
MySQL is also the fastest database even though it is not so complex as
Oracle or Sybase.
And ... MySQl is also free.

So no technology is better than another. It just depends what's better for
you.

Do you know that some companies are still using Cobol?
Do you think they are stupid? No they aren't. maybe Cobol is the best for
them.

Why is perl and MySQL better than working with Cold Fusion?
Because in Perl you can't create not only CGI scripts, but you can also
create normal programs with a normal graphical Windows or Unix interface, or
programs that run in a console.
You can do much more things with Perl than with PHP or ASP or Cold Fusion.

If you need to make just programs that run on a web server, and if you don't
want to learn too much, Cold Fusion could be Ok, but I've seen most people
like PHP, and a lot of people also like ASP because of Microsoft's marketing
campaign.

To be sincere, I haven't seen too many sites that are using .cfm files
comparing with those who use .cgi, .pl, .shtml, .php, or .asp.

I am wondering what should I learn after learning better Perl. I am thinking
to PHP because it is very close to Perl and I guess it might become the most
used programming language for web servers.

A few months ago I was searching for web hosting providers and I've seen
that all of them offer Perl and PHP, some of them offer ASP and Front page
Extensions, but I didn't see any one to offer Cold Fusion, and very few
offering Java servlets.

Maybe I wasn't searching very well. :-)

Teddy,
Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/