Re: IMG ALT tags causing problems in search engines

by "Nancy Whittley" <NWHITTLEY(at)cinci.rr.com>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:03:05 -0400
 To:  "Jay Smith" <jay(at)JaySmith.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jay, one of the problems with these search engines is they each use
different things.  When I prepair a site for submission.  I think of key
things..  Meta Tags.. Title, Text on page, and Alt tags.

Only after seeing some engines target the atl tags on a sites, did I realize
the importance of them.  I hated seeing sites show up, and you would see
the title,

Joes Bar and Grill
Home About Us Locations Links

I told myself then I would never leave that stone unturned.
I keyword mine, to aid site placement.  Some search engines ignore alt tags
and meta tags and just target the text on the page.  Cover all your bases
and you will get the results that you want.  You might want to visit
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/ and read up on the different things that
the search engines look for.  Great tips and insight there.

Also understand the difference, in a search engine... google,
altavista..etc.. and a Directory.. Yahoo, DMOZ.org.  Directories put a
listing in, and it is there forever, never changes.  A search engine will
spider your site, and over time as your site changes so does the way your
listing comes up.  So if you change those keywords, in time that problem
will clear up.  And if you resubmit it to that engine, then they will send
the old spider over sooner.

Good Luck

Nancy