RE: IMG ALT tags causing problems in search engines

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)btinternet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Aug 2001 20:27:16 +0100
 To:  <jay(at)JaySmith.com>,
"Hwg-Techniques \(E-mail\)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
But really your alt text should read as if it were real page content. Alt
text is intended to be used as a substitute for the images, if the browser
doesn't support them or they are switched off.

I've seen sites that use the alt attribute to contact detailed descriptions
of logos and graphics.  That is not how alt text should be used.

The real question is:  why isn't the search engine using your description
meta tag as the description of the page?

It's NOT worth the accessibility sacrifice of taking out the alt text just
to satisfy one minor search engine.

I assume you know from your referrer log how many visitors are reaching your
site from that search engine.  That's also something to consider, I suppose.

Just some ideas..

Tim