Re: ASP

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:38:03 -0400
 To:  "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>
 Cc:  "Charlton, Mark" <Mark.Charlton(at)saint-gobain.com>, <bryan.westbrook(at)amd.com>, <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>, <woodduck(at)mbay.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
VB 7 = VB.Net

I'm not sure that this means that VBScript will be finished precisely.
Backward compatibility will exist for ASP as it now exists (as version 2.0
or 3.0) so present ASP can exist alongside ASP.NET.

VB.Net, or Visual Basic 7.0, will be more like C++ not in format so much as
in that it will have strong typing rather than weak (no longer the variant
that can change type based on useage). Might be a couple syntax things that
are borrowed from C++ but I don't really think so. I think early binding
will also be a new feature. But now we get into areas unfamiliar to me.

However, with this step Visual Basic takes its place alongside languages
such as C++ and will no longer be vulnerable to the disdain that has been
heaped upon it by 'real programmers.' At the same time, it will remain very
productive. I know, that sounds like hype. But from what I've heard and
read, it is true hype (as opposed to truly hype).

Another C-like language called C# is being developed for those who prefer
curly brackets.

Also, many other languages can also be used with ASP.NET.

Less a scripting and more a programming environment, it looks like. Most
accomplished asp developers are very happy as the new features are being
touted as essentially 'just what we've always wanted.' I think beginners
might find themselves with more to learn.

I haven't had a lot of time to dig in at this point.

It might be that VBScript will not be developed further, but remember it is
also used in MS Office as VBScript for Applications. I don't know where that
goes.