Re: spreadsheet program to store e-mails

by "Karin Ransdell" <karin(at)ransdell.com>

 Date:  Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:13:10 -0500
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

From: jalal <the_jalal(at)yahoo.com>
To: HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>; Nancy Whittley
<jnwhittley(at)fuse.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: spreadsheet program to store e-mails

> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:29:02 -0400, Nancy Whittley wrote:
>

> >What it explained to me, (and I am only learning this so if I am wrong I
am
> >sure
> >someone will let me know) once the tables and columns are created in
> >MySQL, then you can create a txt file, and for each column you type
> >in your data info, and seperate each thing with a tab insert.
> >Like this:
> >Name             Address              City             State  and so
on...
> >Type name tab over, type address tab over....
> >
> >Then once you are done you insert it into the data table on the database.
> >

> This works fine, but it does require a bit of experience with MySQL.
> Nothing to extensive though...
> The thing to watch out for is that you get the fields in the right
> order... otherwise you willl have a total mixup after importing them.

A simple way to handle this is to build a form  and then use the SQL INSERT
command to place your values into the appropriate fields.  No sweating it at
the $ prompt that way.  Let your HTML and browser do the work.
That way, any client (with access to the form, that is) can update their own
databases at will.

<...snip...>

> >And if there are any MySQL gurus out there, that use PHP with their
> >database, I would love to hear from you, because I need guidance on the
> >best books to get, I have looked at several and they all look good.
> >Some good old sage advice is nice too.  Learning a new launguage is
> >one thing but two at once is a real pickle.
>
> For PHP, I can recommend Professional PHP Programming, from WROX press.
> For MySQL, I don't have a recommendation really. I have the MySQL book
> from O'Reilly, but for once, it is not up to their standard. Its not
> bad, but it could be a lot better.

Try MySQL by Paul DuBois.  It's thorough and is the one most referenced on
the MySQL mailing/discussion list.  That particular list is also active with
MySQL and PHP chatter, so if you're serious about pursuing the languages,
that might not be a bad list to look at.  They are, of course, reachable
through www.mysql.com

Good luck!

Karin