Re: Content Management Systems (was: Website Comments (PHP))

by "Gary Krockover" <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Feb 2003 06:56:42 -0600
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think I've provided this link here before when discussing IFrame's, but
I'll throw it out again.  I have the first workings of my own CMS that uses
the IFrame to pull in existing pages from a client's own site so that they
can do modifications to the layout as far as text, font, font size, font
color, tables, images.  The raw HTML that is outputted from their session is
then stored in a simple database (flat text or MySQL).  On the actual site
then, the page in question uses a template that then has the call to the
database to pull out HTML that makes up the rest of the page.

Workable demo at http://www.garykrockover.com/editor/content_editor.html
(currently only PC IE4+, NN6+ is supported)

This brings up a question that I've been trying to follow-up on with the
mac-ie group:  will there ever be a version of Mac IE that supports the DOM
object that allows the browser to place focus inside of the IFrame?  I was
hoping that the new Safari browser would, but it does not.  The new version
of Opera (7.1) for the PC doesn't either which was a bit dissapointing.

Anyways, this is a remake of an ASP based application done by Evagoras
Charalambous http://www.xefteri.com/articles/apr202002/default.aspx with a
few additional modifications.  Mine is using WebDNA
(http://webdna.smithmicro.com/).  Both mine and Evagoras' are open source so
feel free to grab it and play with the code.  Note the limitations mentioned
above though.

GK