RE: Anyone see why this doesnt work?

by "Mike Kear" <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>

 Date:  Sat, 5 Jul 2003 05:01:26 +1000
 To:  <jane(at)wulfsoft.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

JANE!!!  BIG KISS AND HUGS!!!!

That worked good and fine on my dev server, and for the life of me, I =
didn't
know why it fell over when it was uploaded.   I took a look at the file =
that
was on the site, thinking there must surely be something different.  The
theme-menu-2.js file I uploaded is only 416 lines. So how could there be =
an
error on line 417?

I checked and sure enough, on the file on the remote site (the one that
didn't work) there was indeed a line 417, containing the text "Error: =
Unable
to read footer file.".

I searched around and after a long while of searching, I found there's a
feature of the hosting control panel that allows hosting companies to =
add a
footer file to all their clients pages. I assume that's so I could put =
some
of those rotten popup ads on my clients sites if I wanted or something =
like
that.  Anyway I thought I had turned that off, but instead all I'd done =
was
change the footer to size zero and left the feature enabled. So every =
file
on all my clients sites were adding a file called 'footer.htm' =
size=3Dzero to
them.  This js file didn't like that and it didn't meet the syntax of =
proper
javascript.

I turned off the footer.htm feature correctly, and behold!  The menus =
are
working now!  (http://64.191.62.205/btcmsa/home.cfm if anyone wants to =
see
them)   They don't GO anywhere yet (it's a one-page site at the moment), =
but
they're built dynamically from the database, so if someone adds a page =
their part of the site, it'll be automatically added to the category =
home
page and to the menus throughout the site, and also to the sidebar =
links,
the related links, and to the site search engine.   And a authorisation
system will determine who gets to add what to the site, automatically.

Jane, thank you for seeing the issue.   I was assuming the .js file on =
the
site was exactly the same as the one I uploaded, and it wasn't.

Cheers,
Michael Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks.