Re: HTML3.2 - background images and edge-to-edge tables (consolidated replies)

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Tue, 22 May 2001 09:31:13 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
 Cc:  "John McDougald" <jazzmidi(at)mindspring.com>, "Klaas De Waele" <klaas(at)gracegraphics.be>, <emerald_spirit(at)yahoo.com>, =?Windows-1252?Q?St=E9phane_Bergeron?= <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi, folks...

A consolidated reply, to save my sanity (tm)!

John McDougald wrote...

> I see the problem, but I don't see a quick fix  :(
>
> Problem:
> The background image is "fixed" @ 1024pics wide
> This will only allow visitors with screen resolutions @ 1024x768
> to view the site as intended. Other resolutions like 640x480,
> 800x600,1152x864, and 1280x1024 and higher will see
> the background tiled and smaller resolutions will see the
> background clipped off the page.

yeah, exactly :-(

> Fix:
> There is hope  :)

Lord, I hope so (I'm even considering radical hair loss surgery -
cause in the last 48 hours, lol)!

> One way I can think off hand is to splice the background into two
> half's, but this requires you to use nested tables with the
> background image table borders set to "0". If I understand
> you - this is not an option your client wants and that's
> unfortunate because I think this would work. If this is an
> option you like to explore more in detail please let me know
> and I'll be happy to assist.

Hmm. I _think_ I see where you're going with this, and it's a similar
method that's already been described, and which I'v got as a
last-ditch fudge, although the table-to-the-extreme-edge factor in 3.2
is stioll going to be an issue (at least with me, if I get away with
it!).

I may, though, take up your offer. I'll be in touch, if this is the
case. Thanks for geting back to me again!

Klaas De Waele wrote...

> Maybe you could run a script te determine window width and depending
> on this, write the body header with background image.

I could, but it's a basic entry site, with no scripting (fixed price
contract). It'll be something I will DEFINATELY remember when it comes
time to renegotiate terms for a site re-vamp in the next year or two
(or sooner, if the client gets really ambitions)!

> Tables don't stretch to the utter edge because the browser leaves
> room for a scroll bar.

At the top and right as well? Oh, well.

Thanks for the reply, Klaas.

EmeraldSpirit then wrote...

> It should work.  I took your code... added in the
> margin width fix to the body tag and the table goes
> all the way to the edge of the browser.  What is it
> you are seeing that makes you say it doesn't work?

On a 1024x768 screen, a gap of perhaps 3mm between the edge of the
viewable area of the browser's screen area, and the start of the table
border. An screenshot Image can be sent, if you like (or posted
somewhere, your choice!). Check out the example of the raw problem at
http://website.lineone.net/~g1liw/mcon/problem.html.

Hmm. I'm using IE 5.5, NN4.7, and Opera 5, in order to test the site;
which browser were you using to view the fix - maybe it's my set up
that's at fault?

Thanks for replying, by the way!

Finally, Stephane Bergeron wrote...

> You won't be able to remove page margins in
> Netscape 3 no matter what code you use.  That
> browser cannot provide 0 margins but IE 3 does.

Nuts. I was afraid of that. However, how come it occurs in NN4.7 and
IE5.5, not to mention Opera 5, as well? I know I could fix it using
HTML4 and CSS, but this has to be a lower tech site, hence HTML3.2.
Damn, but this is infuriating!

> HTH!

A little, but that's an improvement over'back to square one' - nice to
talk to you again, by the way (over a year, isn't it?), and thanks for
replying!

To everyone: Thanks for replying and trying, please keep the ideas
flowing; my immense thanks to all of you for trying!

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Proprietor,
Intelligent Web Design Services
http://iws.n3.net/
(PGP public key available on request)
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message
may not be those of IWS. The information in this email and
in any attachments may be confidential and/or privileged. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, copy or
use this email for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of
its content to any other person - you should also destroy this
message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify
the sender immediately.