Re: Dynamic menu problem

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Thu, 1 Nov 2001 00:43:59 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
From: "Web Master" <Webmaster(at)lchb.com>
To: <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 5:25 PM
Subject: Dynamic menu problem

>(For what it's worth, I have tried scripts from several sources, and none
seem to work as I need them >to; this includes the Hiermenus script from
Webreference.com, which does not seem to include a >version for a static
menu that will always be on the page, and open up child submenus as the
mouse >passes thereover).

Are you sure?  I may be misunderstanding your intent, but I've played with
Hiermenus before and distinctly remember there being a way to absolutely
position a menu in pixels both from the left and from the top of the screen.
In addition, there are flags to either display the parent menu on the page
by default, or have it activated by clicking or mousing over a link or
graphic.   Personally, I think Hiermenus is probably one of the best DHTML
menu scripts I've ever seen, but that's irrelevant.

If your intent is to not make the parent menu be a layer, but actually be a
physical part of the page, then perhaps you could try making the base menu a
simple HTML table, color coded to match the rest of the Hiermenu child
submenus that would float from it when moused over.  Or you could make it a
graphic and do the same thing.

Mike