Re: Flash... aaahhhhh

by "Angel One" <angelone(at)angelonearth.net>

 Date:  Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:49:10 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
    Hi David,
    Here is the script I use to detect the Flash plugin. I'm not sure if it
works in ME; I get mixed results with that OS. The script re-directs to the
flash page if it's detected, HTML if not. Also, as far as I know, there is
no way to detect Flash in I.E. on a MAC, so this script re-directs to a MAC
page that gives the user the option for Flash or HTML. This is the best I
have been able to find.......

 <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--

if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" &&
navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") != -1 ) {
window.location = 'mac.html';
}

var plugin = (navigator.mimeTypes &&
navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"] ?
navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"].enabledPlugin : 0);

if ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" &&
navigator.appVersion.indexOf("Mac") == -1 &&
navigator.appVersion.indexOf("3.1") == -1) || (plugin &&
parseInt(plugin.description.substring(plugin.description.indexOf(".")-1)) >=
4)){

file://If the user has the Flash 4 player, go to the flashed page
window.location='flash.html';
}
else {
file://If the user doesn't have the Flash 4 player, go to the HTML version
window.location='home.html';
}

// -->
</SCRIPT>

    BTW, if this script is corrupted by the e-mail (sometimes wrapping can
screw things up), let me know & I'll send it to you as an attachment.
HTH
      Paul Angel

http://valuewebinc.com
http://v-firms.com