RE: ...cooler...

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)lineone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 2 Feb 2000 20:15:51 -0000
 To:  "'Jonathan'" <waves(at)atlantic.net>
 Cc:  "hwg techniques (E-mail)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
OK Guys,

Here's the code.

Tim

<HTML>

	<HEAD>

		<META NAME="author" CONTENT="Timothy John Booker">

		<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript" TYPE="text/javascript">

		// This script searches for the query string, and saves the value in the
expandedSection variable...

			if (location.search.substring(1))
			 {
				expandedSection = location.search.substring(1);
				expandedSection = unescape(expandedSection);
			 }
			else
			 {
				expandedSection = 'none';
			 }

		</SCRIPT>

	</HEAD>

	<BODY>

		<TABLE><TR><TD WIDTH="400">

			<H1>Todays Headlines</H1>

			<H3>Microsoft judge gets advice</H3>

			<P>An expert on technology and law, asked personally by the judge for
advice in the Microsoft trial, argued Tuesday that a crucial appeals victory
for the software company in a related case may not protect it from the
government's latest antitrust claims.</P>

			<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript" TYPE="text/javascript">

			// These bits test to see if this is the required article, and write it
(or not) as appropriate...

				if (expandedSection == 'microsoftJudge')
				 {
					document.write('<P>The arguments put forth by Lawrence Lessig, a
cyberspace law professor at Harvard, were an important indicator of how
Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson is leaning in the landmark case as he prepares
his verdict, which is expected by early spring. At Jackson\'s request,
Lessig suggested ways the judge might structure part of a verdict against
Microsoft so not to clash with a 1998 federal appeals ruling that was highly
favorable for the company. That decision came from the same court expected
to review Jackson\'s verdict in the current trial</P>');

			// If you want to close the article, simply link to the page without any
querys...

					document.write('<P><A HREF="./">...less</A></P>');
				 }
				else
				 {

			// The next line creates a link to the page, including a query string to
open this article...

					document.write('<P><A HREF="index.html?' + escape('microsoftJudge') +
'">...more</A></P>');
				 }

			</SCRIPT>

			<P>&nbsp;</P>

			<H3>Windows gets 'Millennium' name</H3>

			<P>The name of Microsoft's new consumer operating system, the successor
to Windows 98 due out in the second half of this year, will be called
Windows Millennium Edition.</P>

			<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript" TYPE="text/javascript">

				if (expandedSection == 'milleniumEdition')
				 {
					document.write('<P>The new software, dubbed "Windows Me" by Microsoft
insiders, will be the latest version of the operating system that powers the
vast majority of personal computers. "The name Windows Millennium Edition,
or Windows Me, will help Microsoft clearly identify this as the next
iteration of the OS designed for the home user," said Shawn Sanford, group
product manager for Windows. The company has said that Windows Millennium
Edition will include software to view and edit digital video, along with
updates to the Internet Explorer Web browser and other, undisclosed
features. Windows 98 and its predecessor, Windows 95, are the world\'s most
popular software programs.</P>');
					document.write('<P><A HREF="./">...less</A></P>');
				 }
				else
				 {
					document.write('<P><A HREF="index.html?' + escape('milleniumEdition') +
				 }

			</SCRIPT>

		</TD></TR></TABLE>

	</BODY>