Re: Geographical map updating.

by "Karin Ransdell" <kransdell(at)squishedmosquito.com>

 Date:  Fri, 4 Aug 2000 08:53:31 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>

From: jalal <the_jalal(at)yahoo.com>
To: Alan Control <alan(at)i-bird.com>; <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2000 7:07 AM
Subject: Re: Geographical map updating.

> One word:
>
> PHP

Now I have a question myself.  PHP might work fine for pulling the maps out
of a database and plopping it in the page, but I understood the original
question differently.  Will PHP actually *generate* the maps from a blank
image, some city names and location labels?  (For comparison, like
NetObjects, Publisher, and several others generate button graphics with a
built-in image editor.)

Take a look at
http://www.i-bird.com/Location/PolUnitUSFL.htm
for example.

I understood that Alan wants to get away from creating all these maps "by
hand" and prefers something a little more like mapblast.com.  That seems
like it would take some *serious* GPS on the backend, hence the $$$$ quotes.

While we all know that PHP will pull those completed maps out, my question
is whether or not it will merge all the separate bits of data to create an
image.  Can anybody comment on that?

Okay, I admit that it boggles my mind ;)