Re: hwg-techniques-digest V1 #1060

by "Simon A. Crase" <simon_crase(at)bigpond.com>

 Date:  Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:54:33 +1100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
<4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>
> Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 12:44:52 -0500
> From: Roxy <4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>
> Subject: opening large access-log files
>
> I hope someone else on this list has large access-log files and can open
them.
[munch]
> If you're curious as to why I need to edit the access-log, I run a stats
> program for the month's log files, 1st to 30/31st. So, have to edit the
log
> files to have only the month's dates in them. My web server's log files
run
> Sun-Sat, so at the end of every month, the "dates" need to be separated,
> put in different folders for running the different month's stats program.
I'm still curious as to why you need to edit them.  Why not use awk or sed
to pull out the
data you are interested in & put them into separate files?  You speak about
putting the data into different folders - so it should
not be too difficult to turn your criteria into regular expressions, then
let your script do the
rest.  Once you have your script working you should be able to forget about
it & let it
do the whole chore for you.

If you are running Unix you must have awk & sed on your machine - and
O'Reilly & Associates have
really good introduction to using these programs.   If you're running
windoze, then I can point you towards
versions that you can use.

Cheers,

Simon