Re: Yahoo (How beaconing works)-how spammers get addresses

by "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita(at)home.ro>

 Date:  Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:17:43 +0200
 To:  "jim barchuk" <jb(at)jbarchuk.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

Regarding this subject, I found another way for getting the email address
from a server if the security of that server is not strong.

I've seen a server where you can create an account filling a form on their
web page, and they have a checkbox by which you can choose to remember your
username next time you will visit their server.

After doing that, they set a cookie on your computer, but the value of that
cookie is not your username as it should, or a random generated number, but
numbers in order, from 1 to a little over 6000 (the number of accounts on
that server).

If you will modify the cookie from your computer and put another number,
then visit their page, you will see another email address in that form...

A program that can do this much faster is very easy to be done, and their
database of email addresses sits on my computer now.

I won't send them spam messages because I don't need this, but I've made
that program only for exercise.

Depending on each server's security, more things can be found about an email
address if that server is not well designed.

Teddy,
Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
Email: orasnita(at)home.ro