Subject: Defining Spam (WAS: Advertising (Hopefully List Appropriate))

by "Lois Wakeman" <lois(at)lois.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Aug 2001 11:32:57 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>,
<jay(at)JaySmith.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Jay,

I agree exactly with your definition, and it is exactly the one that I use
when deciding to report anyone via SpamCop.

As a webmaster, anything selling generic stuff like MLM, subs to porn sites,
Chinese herbs, no-questions-asked-loans or credit, etc, and especially that
sent using a BCC, is automatically reported.

Anything where the person has used my name or sites to ask if they can sell
me a related service - like translation, web hosting partnerships, offshore
programming, graphic design etc, is considered on its merits, and either
goes in the 'might be useful' folder, or the 'deleted items', as
appropriate. Literate letters asking for employment are always answered
courteously and encouragingly , as I was young and looking for work myself
once long ago....

Sometimes, I have to do a bit more digging. Recent examples are people
purporting to be doing academic research who turn out to be unknown to the
institute in question,  or reporting that a domain name I have parked and
never mentioned online "isn't working". I decided on the available evidence
that both were spam to get replies with good emails, but similar ones might
be genuine!

Kind regards,

Lois Wakeman