Re: Ordered Lists

by "Frank Boumphrey" <bckman(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Sat, 2 Sep 2000 01:06:49 -0400
 To:  "Cindy Stanley,
SSS WebWorks" <stanleysupport(at)prodigy.net>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> and you will validate by opting *not* to use the end li tag, which my
> documents show that this is optional. Not arguing with you, just trying to
> figure this out.

optional means just that. in SGML documents, of which HTML 4.0 is a document
type you can either put them in or leave them out.

Also both opening and closing head and body tags are optional, so

Is the briefest HTML document you can have, but a browser will read the DTD
and add the tags that you ommitted. It will build a document that says:

even though you as an author did not put in these tags.

Frank