Re: Rant !

by "Lisa Bradshaw" <zibbler(at)mediaone.net>

 Date:  Mon, 8 Oct 2001 08:10:30 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Well, in my particular case I am not designing for customers or a
corporation. My sites are all on my ISP's server, and they only alot a
certain amount of server space. I don't have the space to make an alternate
site for each of my pages. I have one site up that DOES have an alternate
for older browsers, I have another one that's very basic and can be viewed
by most browsers out there, my third site I decided I wanted a certain look
and feel because of the content of the site, and the latest site I put up is
an HTML & CSS tutorial. It wouldn't make sense to provide an alternate for
this site becuase I wouldn't be able to use the CSS lessons for it. I viewed
my tutorial site in NN 4.7 and it totally mangled it! It was literally
unusable, so, the only alternative I had was to offer a download for the
newest browser. I think as CSS becomes more widely used (which is now
starting to happen) people are going to have to update their browsers or be
left behind. Please don't take this the wrong way. I really don't want to
exclude people from my site, it's just that I don't have too many options
right now for what I'm trying to accomplish. Just my $.02 FWIW.