Re: DHTML

by "tim booker" <timbooker(at)btinternet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:09:06 +0100
 To:  "Elizabeth Ross" <beth(at)vcubed.com>,
"Hwg-Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> I haven't worked with DHTML and may find myself on the receiving end of
> some questions about why they are good/bad. I'm looking at a site which
> uses them and I can see that they don't work in either Amaya or Opera.

DHTML does work in Opera.  Not in Amaya.  I still can't understand the point
of Amaya.

> As to why they don't work, I don't know. Does the fact that the site in
> question is being built with FrontPage matter?

Yes.  FrontPage is a Microsoft product, and it makes horrible code that is
really only compatible with Internet Explorer.

Macromedia Dreamweaver is the best WYSIWYG tool for building DHTML sites.
Pretty solid, cross-browser scripts.  Although it can get heavy on code, if
you're doing anything complicated.

> Any recommended resources and/or quick summaries from those in the
> know? I'm going to look at Webmonkey, Evolt, & WebReference in the
> meantime.

If you want to code by hand, you'll need to know how to write JavaScript and
CSS before you start.  If you think that you can learn DHTML without prior
knowledge of these two, you will be dissapointed.  DHTML is simply the way
that JavaScript can modify CSS properties.

Don't bother with Webmonkey for technical information.  Rather, they are
good if you want to learn a general concept.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/ is a good JavaScript, CSS, and DHTML resource.

news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dynamic.html is a good general DHTML
newsgroup.

http://www.bratta.com/dhtml/ is nicely inspiring, and has some good scripts.

Hope some of this helps.  I have no idea where I learnt DHTML.  I've never
found a good, comprehensive resource.

Tim