Re: annoying websites

by "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew(at)wisca.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 7 Jul 2001 14:04:41 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
The right *sort* of image compression is important. gif for things which can
be represented by a few colours, and which have (ideally) large areas of
unbroken single colour (which compresses very small). For jpeg, if it really
matters, I mask and very slightly gaussian blur areas with detail that is
unimportant, so that the discrete cosine transform (or whatever the
variation on Fourrier is) doesn't need any high order coefficients in those
picture areas.

Andrw Armstrong