Re: Multi-media programs -- request for info

by "Andy Innes" <innax(at)icon.co.za>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Jul 2002 20:02:45 +0200
 To:  "Davies,
Elizabeth H." <EHDavies(at)West.com>,
"HWG-technique Mailing List \(E-mail\)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Elizabeth

You say you will be doing the "web parts". Does this mean that there is a
web aspect to the project, or are you referring to interactive multimedia in
general?

Either way, I would recommend Macromedia Director. You can use shockwave, if
the media elements must appear in a browser. If you are compiling a PC exe
file to drive the presentation, Director is tops there as well. Flash is
sometimes used for this kind of work, but is a weak alternative to Director
i.t.o. control over the environment. You can also include .swf Flash files
within your authored Director project.

This having been said, I should warn that the learning curve for Director is
pretty steep and with a project of this nature, the level of coding
expertise needed  in Lingo (Director's programming language) could soon land
you in hot water as a beginner with the program. Being as you have to author
for widescreen and notebook/cd-rom formats, the problems multiply
exponentially, depending on the level of interaction you need with the API,
etc.

Here are some good url's for Director info:

www.mediamacros.com
www.director-online.com
www.penworks.com
www.macromedia.com

Penworks offers a lingo mailing list similar to this one that has often
bailed me out of a tight spot (lingo-l). Macromedia also has a large list of
developer newsgroups.

HTH

Andy