CD ROM encrypting

by "Daryl Fernquist" <darylf(at)fernweb.com>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:25:53 -0800
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello all:

Hope this is the correct place to pose a question or three.

A customer would like me to copy their website onto a CD ROM for
distribution to their clients.  However there are a couple of design
requests which I don't think can be done.  Perhaps there are readers on our
mail list which would know the answers.

1. On their website I use Cold Fusion and password protect some areas which
are for "salesmen only"--to view the current proprietary information of the
Company's products.  They would want this area to continue to be protected.
I don't see how--as anyone could use a simple explorer window to view the
information.

2. This then poses the question, could we "encrypt" the CD ROM so it could
only be viewed by a browser but--without great trouble--the other areas
would be unviewable.

3. They would also like the CD ROM to expire/time out after six months with
a "message" explaining they should contact the Company for a new version.

I am pretty sure the answer to all three questions is NO.  However I would
like confirmation from others on this list.

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions.

Daryl