Re: Download Time?

by "Gary Krockover" <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:00:08 -0600
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Just some food for thought; if the site is to promote a company that does
web design, is it unprofessional to use DHTML/javascripts from 3rd party
sources instead of showing that the staff of the company could write the
code themselves?  I guess this would pertain to the java applet(s) as well.

Then again, I guess the counter-argument for that could be; it's a budget
web-design company, and to cut down on costs to the customer, we use 3rd
party scripts that are freely obtainable instead of writing such complex
code ourselves.

On the download time, there was an initial delay and then the site popped up
all at once.  I'm on a cable modem and it took about 20 seconds.  I'm
guessing it's the java applet that is loading that is holding up the rest of
the content at first.

I only have IE 5.5 for Win2k AdvServ here, I'll take a look at it in other
browsers from the office, but from what I see here, it's a very nice looking
site.  I like the color selection and the layout.  Very nice looking site.

GK

> It was slow to load on my DSL modem as well.  I think it's a combination
of
> the java applet and the variation of Andy Woolley's JavaScript menu that
you
> have on your page (i.e. the menu that had originally come from
> www.milonic.co.uk).  Maybe try using a later version of his menu script
and
> choose a JavaScript scrolling alternative to your Java applet.  There are
> lot of good Java applets out there but there are many more that are just
CPU