Re: Failings of Front Page

by "Donna M Smillie" <dms(at)zetnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:15:22 -0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
From: Phil Babcock <pbabcock(at)bgsgroup.com>

> I agree with most everything Peter has said.  I inherited a few projects
> that were built in Front Page 97 and the code they produced is just
> nightmarish. For those projects, I had to add a few pages so I built them
> in TextPad and then loaded them in Frontpage to add them to the web.
> Frontpage absolutely killed my code, adding and removing tags at will,
and
> modifying others.  Now I *refuse* to use it and do all my
> editing/adding/posting to those old "frontpage webs" manually.

Just a quick note here - the company I work for decreed that FrontPage was
the software to be used for creating and maintaining websites on the
intranet.  So 3 years ago when I started developing websites there, I
received a copy of Frontpage 95, and recoiled in horror when I saw what it
produced in the way of code, and what it did to existing code when pages
created in something else were opened in FrontPage 95.  FrontPage 97 wasn't
a great deal better.  I've used Arachnophilia throughout my time there as a
result.

However, over the past few months I've had to refamiliarise myself with
FrontPage since I'm leaving shortly and will have to hand "my" :-) websites
over to someone who knows nothing of HTML, Javascript, CSS, etc, and was
pleasantly surprised to see how few changes the FrontPage 98 editor made to
my existing (valid) code, and to see how much better was the code it
produced when creating pages directly in FrontPage 98.  In addition, simply
using FrontPage Navigator to manage the files didn't cause any changes to
the contents of the files - that only happened if the file was loaded into
the FrontPage Editor.

So in fairness I'd have to say to anyone whose opinion of FrontPage was
formed, like mine, on pre-"98" versions, that it's worth re-evaluating it.

Regards,
Donna
--
dms(at)zetnet.co.uk